StationApproach Home
4-6 Station Approach is a mixed-use (shops and offices) commercial property directly outside the train station at Ashford, Middlesex, United Kingdom.

The building was originally built in 1907 and used and owned by a furniture retailer and auctioneer. The building was rebuilt in 2005-2006, adding a new second floor office space with arched windows.




The building is fully let as a mixed-use commercial building.



Planning permission was received to convert the unused attic space into a loft-style office space, and refurbish the first floor into two office suites.

Building work took place between July and December 2005.

Click for larger version

Plan »


The property as it looked in 2003. There was a recuitment agency (bottom left), fireplace shop (bottom right) and single floor of offices above.

The first-floor offices have been rented by Free Pint Limited since October 2001.

The building was purchased from its previous owners in June 2004.

The station can be seen on the left of the second photo.

"Ashford, mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, when it was named Exeford, was most likely founded in Saxon times ..." - read the full description in the Wikipedia.

Click for larger version

Click for larger version


The property was built in 1907 between two existing buildings, in the space previously being used to access a timber yard located behind owned by a builder, Mr Webb (now 'Ash House' in Station Road, built in 1980). The land was sold to Mr H. Hicks, an Auctioneer (confirmed in the Land Registry Deeds, and in the Ashford Directory of 1915).

The Field Book Valuation Survey of 1911-1915 confirms the property as being owned by H Hicks as an 'Auctioneers Office' and valued at £1200.

During redevelopment in 2005, writing on the party wall to 2 Station Approach uncovered 'Monford and Goodman' [ photo ]. Although this company was known to be in Staines, they were not known to be in Ashford (they do not appear in local business directories between 1914-1926).

The hand-drawn picture here is taken from the original deeds from 1907. Click for a larger version.

The first floor and attic were originally a single space, forming a furniture warehouse. The stairs to the first floor were wide and shallow to allow for the removal of furniture, and there was a hoist at the back.

Railway Station

The railway station in Ashford, Middlesex was originally built in 1848 when the line to Staines and Windsor was opened, but was rebuilt for the visit of Prince Albert in 1857 to open the Welsh Girls' School (St James Independent School from 2010).

[Photos of Station Approach from around 1900 by kind permission of Spelthorne Museum]

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Click photos for
larger versions


Rebuild Photos (2001 vs. 2006)

Outside Front

First Floor

Second Floor

Offices to let - click for details
Click for details

Contact and Location

Full contact details, location maps and directions.

Read more »