The property was built in 1907 between two existing buildings, in the space previously being used to access a timber yard located behind owned by a builder, Mr Webb (now 'Ash House' in Station Road, built in 1980). The land was sold to Mr H. Hicks, an Auctioneer (confirmed in the Land Registry Deeds, and in the Ashford Directory of 1915).
The Field Book Valuation Survey of 1911-1915 confirms the property as being owned by H Hicks as an 'Auctioneers Office' and valued at £1200.
During redevelopment in 2005, writing on the party wall to 2 Station Approach uncovered 'Monford and Goodman' [ photo ]. Although this company was known to be in Staines, they were not known to be in Ashford (they do not appear in local business directories between 1914-1926).
The hand-drawn picture here is taken from the original deeds from 1907. Click for a larger version.
The first floor and attic were originally a single space, forming a furniture warehouse. The stairs to the first floor were wide and shallow to allow for the removal of furniture, and there was a hoist at the back.
The railway station in Ashford, Middlesex was originally built in 1848 when the line to Staines and Windsor was opened, but was rebuilt for the visit of Prince Albert in 1857 to open the Welsh Girls' School (St James Independent School from 2010).
[Photos of Station Approach from around 1900 by kind permission of Spelthorne Museum]